Italy is renowned for its romantic character, and from its historic stone monuments to its modern luxury locations and stunning natural scenery, you’ll find love blossoming in every corner. In fact, Italy and romance are so closely intertwined that it was even the home of Saint Valentine, who helped young lovers to marry in secret after Roman emperor Claudius II banned marriage.
From Venice’s charming canals to Rome’s exciting streets, Naples’ captivating vistas to Lake Como’s fairy-tale atmosphere and more, you’ll forget all your worries as you take in the picture-postcard sights, immerse your senses in the Italian fare and delight in the local hospitality. There’s just so much to do to rekindle that spark or set a new love aflame – the only question is ‘where to start?’.
Rendezvous in Rome
What can we say – Rome is an absolute must-see when visiting Italy. This is especially true for the history buff couples who’d love nothing more than to explore the World’s most successful city together.
The most romantic activities in Rome include:
- Posing for couple selfies while tossing coins into the Trevi Fountain
- Tour the city in the evening on a horse-drawn carriage
- Enjoy a relaxing cruise on the Tiber River
- Attend a night at the opera at Teatro Dell’Opera di Roma
- Attend an historical tour of some of Rome’s most famous landmarks such as the Colosseum, St. Peter’s Basilica, the Pantheon, the Roman Forum, the Spanish Steps, the Sistine Chapel and more
The most romantic accommodation in Rome includes:
- Rome’s most popular romantic hotel accommodation is the 4-star Hotel Artemide located in the Repubblica neighbourhood near the Baths of Diocletian, just next to the city centre.
- For a 5-star experience that previous guests have raved about, the First Roma Arte is the accommodation you need. Also within the heart of Rome, this hotel is the top choice for a romantic luxe escape.
- If you’d like more choice of romantic accommodation in Rome, Hotels.com have plenty!
View Vivacious Venice
Venice is the quintessential backdrop for romance with its wonderful winding canals, beautiful bridges, amazing architecture and inspiring islands. A must-see for artists… and poets! This iconic city is truly magical and will captivate you entirely.
The most romantic activities in Venice include:
- A gondolier ride through the Venetian canals, of course!
- Kissing under the Bridge of Sighs (doing so is meant to cause couples to stay together forever in eternal bliss, according to Venetian folklore)
- Visit colourful Burano Island and try some painting
- Enjoy a coffee at sunrise in Saint Mark’s Square
- Dine at the scenic Terrazza Danieli for some Venetian cuisine
The most romantic accommodation in Venice includes:
- Rated as exceptional by previous guests, The EXCESS VENICE Boutique Hotel & Private Spa is located near the Grand Canal and is simply superb. If you don’t feel romantic here, you won’t anywhere.
- For a 5-star Venetian retreat, try the Baglioni Hotel Luna and be swept away by the luxury of it all. This luxurious accommodation option is located in the historic district near St. Mark’s Square and Doge’s Palace.
- There are many other romantic accommodation options in Venice.
Get Naughty in Naples
Naples brings together the old and new for a colourful and mesmerising experience that you just have to see for yourself. If you’re an artist or photographer, you’ll never tire of the graffitied urban sprawl interspersed with crumbling remnants of the Renaissance.
The most romantic activities in Naples include:
- Go back in time with a visit to medieval Castel Nuovo
- Go on a wine tasting tour and taste the ‘Tears of Christ’ (a famous local wine)
- Dine on some traditional Neapolitan pizza at a trattoria on Via Partenope (situated along the scenic waterfront)
- Climb the explosive Mount Vesuvius for breathtaking views of the Bay of Naples, or visit the ash-covered city of Pompeii
- Walk along Spaccanapoli, AKA the 2km-long ‘Naples splitter’ street between Piazza del Gesù Nuovo and Via Duomo
- Enjoy a Bay of Naples cruise
The most romantic accommodation in Naples includes:
- The lovely Hotel Il Convento located in the city centre near Piazza del Plebiscito is only rated as 3-stars; however, it’s just as glamorous and well-appointed as accommodation with a higher rating. It’s loved by previous guests and is a great romantic choice.
- The 5-star Romeo Hotel is located within Naples’ historic centre and is as romantic and luxurious as it sounds.
- If you’d prefer something else, there are many other romantic accommodation options in Naples to choose from.
See Stunning Sorrento
This picturesque, historic town is a favourite spot for honeymooners. This is due to its many gorgeous locales, amazing dining experiences, its multiple things to do and places to relax. This sunny, seaside paradise will win you over in no time!
The most romantic activities in Sorrento include:
- Visit the Island of Capri to experience the wondrous Grotta Azzurra (the Blue Grotto). While there, you can also see the Green and White grottos, Mount Solaro, as well as the rest of the island
- Spend some time shopping along the Corsa Italia, which is one of Italy’s most popular shopping strips
- Enjoy a day on the beach, swimming in the Mediterranean sea and relaxing in the sun. Why not have fresh seafood for lunch or dinner?
- If you visited Mt Vesuvius when in Naples, you are now closer to Pompeii – the fascinating ancient city that was destroyed by the volcano and its ruins set in solidified ash. Of course, you can also hike up Vesuvius if you haven’t already
- Enjoy some of the famous Sorrento gelato while walking through town
The most romantic accommodation in Sorrento includes:
- Sorrento’s most popular romantic accommodation option is the 4-star Maison La Minervetta, located just near Piazza Tasso.
- For a luxe 5-star choice, the Grand Hotel La Favorita is the accommodation option for you! Conveniently located in town, you’ll love this hotel.
- Of course, there are many other phenomenal Sorrento accommodation options if the above aren’t suitable for your needs.
Come Stai, Como?
If you thought southern Italy was beautiful, just wait until you see the north! Lake Como is the place to go if your main agenda is seeing the country’s natural beauty. Think of looming mountains dotted with lush forests, quaint villages and majestic architecture nestled along deep, turquoise lakes. It’s like something out of a romance novel and definitely worth the visit.
The most romantic activities in Como include:
- Spend plenty of time on the magnificent lake sailing, water skiing, kite surfing or just paddling around
- There are a number of fantastic coffee shops lining the shores and it’s easy to spend time here with your loved-one, taking in the mesmerising views
- The famous Villa del Balbianello is a must-visit; although, you’ve probably already seen it in scenes of Casino Royale or Star Wars Episode II. This villa is simply jawdroppingly spectacular
- Ride the Como–Brunate funicular railway from Como up to the village of Brunate for sweeping views from the mountain
- The small island of Isola Comacina is perfect for history fans, as it features medieval structures and Roman ruins.
The most romantic accommodation in Como includes:
- The 4-star Hotel Metropole Suisse near Piazza Cavour is the most-booked Como accommodation on Hotels.com
- For some 5-star luxury, the Vista Palazzo Small Luxury hotel is close to the Como-Brunate Funicular and is first class all the way.
- Hotels.com has many more romantic hotels in Como
This article was written in collaboration with Hotels.com