Most of us work for a living, or even enjoy working to give us something to do. That being said, there are a lot of people who either have skills outside the workplace or dislike what they are doing for a career and would love to make extra money doing something they love. Of course, with the hopes of paying for the next big vacation or even making it a full-time career.
This is actually how I went from corporate life to fulltime blogger and digital marketer.
Why Should I Become a Freelancer
The trend of freelancing is increasing every day. A lot of companies now prefer to hire a freelancer instead of a permanent employee, depending on the job function.
There are so many reasons why people choose to go into freelancing.
- A freelancer makes her own schedule. You are not bound to work from 9 to 5, like an office-based job.You are free to spend as much time as they want for different projects. You work according to her mood and comfort. The flexibility of time is a big attraction for choosing freelancing to earn extra income as well as a career.
- You manage your own workload. You decide how much work you can handle and for whom you will work. If you don’t want to work for someone, no one can compel you to do it, unless you have made a contract of course.
- You are your own boss and not bound to follow others’ orders.A freelancer makes her rules and can break them at any time.
- You don’t need to wake up early in the morning and have to rush to reach the office in time. On the other hand, your traveling time and cost are saved too.
- Another appealing reason to choose freelancing is that a freelancer decides the pay rate for their services. Ifyou find the price for a project unfavorable,you have a choice to reject it while an office employee couldn’t even think of doing that.
- Freelancing enhances your exposure and enables you to work for any person all over the world.
- It polishes your skills and makes you competent enough to deal with ever greater situations.
- Lastly, you can also improve on skills that will help you in the progress of your current career.
Freelancing Ideas to Make Extra Income
There are a lot of options for freelancing, but I figured I would cover five great freelancing ideas for anyone looking to earn extra income:
WordPress Web Design
WordPress is the most popular content management platform online today. It is used by individuals on up to fortune 500 companies.
The great thing about WordPress, is that it is actually super easy to learn. You can go onto YouTube and find just about anything from starting you first WordPress site to doing the most custom work that may require some programming skills.
With this skill, you can help local business or larger companies with updating blogs, building new sites, or doing redesigns.
I know people charging $20 – $150+ per hour for this kind of work, so with a little practice and getting your name out there, you can really make this freelancing gig anything you want.
If you have the talent to become a writer, you should really consider the field of copywriting. It can become a way for you to make good money doing what you love. A copywriter puts together promotional material for businesses, such as websites, TV commercials, newsletters, etc.It is essential for a copywriter to create compelling content that draws readers’ attention, to convey a message, and entertain the audience. Writing ad jingles, taglines, and even job descriptions are also a part of the job.
It is an exciting and creative job that has many avenues you can pursue based on your interests.
We could never forget to include graphic design in the list of freelancing ideas? As content or copywriters convey their message through words, a graphic designer does the same via visuals.
If you are creative enough to make beautiful designs, then graphic design is the best freelancing option for you. You must learn some skills before you can just dive into this field, but even you can make it a full-time career.
A graphic designer is responsible for creating logos, business cards, flyers, brochures, and social media posts, etc. It is not an exaggeration if we say that you bring the clients’ ideas to life through different software by using your own creativity.
A virtual assistant provides administrative support to businesses. Their responsibilities include sending emails, customer support, calendar management, research, data entry, and many more.
If you have the ability to pay attention to details and follow directions, then becoming a remote virtual assistant is a perfect choice for you. There are several online courses available that provide you with the necessary skills needed to equip yourself as a virtual assistant.
Being a virtual assistant enables you to build valuable connections with other entrepreneurs who can lead you to a full-time career opportunity or it can just help you build skills to use in your current career.
In transcription, you only have to listen to voice recordings and convert them into text. It is not a challenging task. You can become a freelance transcriptionist with some basic training. You can start it as a freelancer through which you can earn some extra income without quitting your regular job.
The transcription jobs are typically handled by an agency that requires taking a typing test and then assigns you tasks according to your skills. A transcriptionist requires a set of specific skills, including, attentive listening, accurate, and fast typing speed. You can develop all these abilities through some practice. The strong command over language, expertise in multitasking, and a good knowledge of computers are the qualities of a freelancer working in the field of transcription.
Working from home is a fascination for many people; it is like a dream come true.Don’t you want to choose your clients rather than be stuck with a boss or colleagues you dislike, spend more time with your loved ones, travel, and do the things you have always wanted to do? So, say yes to freelancing and start researching your area of interest, Google is your best friend.